If you are living in China, it’s most likely that you are already on WeChat (it’s called Weixin or 微信 here). If you are abroad, you have probably at least heard of the China’s most popular messaging app.
WeChat belongs to Chinese internet giant Tencent and is the country’s equivalent to apps such as WhatsApp or LINE. The most recent statistics are simply amazing:
- WeChat has 500 million active users
- It’s the fastest-growing social media platform in the world
- 100 million people use WeChat outside of China (making it a pioneer in terms of Chinese innovations that are being used abroad)
- 10 million messages were processed in a single minute on Lunar New Year’s Eve
- WeChat is the most popular source for Chinese consumers to follow and interact with brands